Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ahhh... the pressure of the first blog written by someone who is quite unfaithful to the journaling thing... and, a little frightened by the fact that I'll be speaking my thoughts on the world wide web. But, in an effort to stay connected with my family and friends while I'm in Honduras, here I go...
First, thank you to whoever reads this and remembers to lift me up in prayer... it's quite humbling to think that I have people in my life that would take time out of their busy day to see what's happening with me and to make petitions to the Father on my behalf. Thank you for going on this journey with me; I'm eternally grateful. Also, thank you for the role that each of you play in my life... I am her in part because of you... each of you has influenced me to put me on the path of where I am today. So, thank you for your encouragement and guidance. The Lord has used you greatly in my life.
So, this Friday, January 16th (also my mom's bday!), I'm headed to Orphanage Emmanuel in a small town called Guaimaca. There, I'll live life alongside kids that don't know what it's like to have earthly parents. I'm going hoping to give to these kids, but I know that what they give me will far outweigh what I can even begin to imagine. I pray that I soak in each moment, the great and not so great, because I know that the Lord is teaching me something through it all.
As the weeks have dwindled to days before I depart, I'm feeling a lot of emotions... a lot of excitement mixed in with a lot of fear. To be honest, I'm pretty anxious about it... what do I have to offer them? I don't what it's like to be abandoned by my parents. I don't know what it's like to be in need of basics like food, clothing, and shelter. I can't speak Spanish beyond a 1st grade level. I'm pretty scrawny, so I can't build them anything. I have a degree in accounting, what good will that do at an orphanage? How am I going to relate???... it's easy for me to look at the things I'm lacking and get pretty darn discouraged. But, I'm going... I'm trusting, walking by faith knowing that this is the next step that He has called me to. I remember hearing one of my pastors at church say that we will never be fully equipped or prepared, but we offer ourselves to the Lord and trust that He will make us enough. That is the Truth I'm clinging to... He is enough, and if I am in Him, then He will make me enough.

20 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

well i already screwed up the comment thing and accidentally deleted the last one. nonetheless, i'll be your most faithful reader. and i'll also tell you when you get the you're/your thing wrong. i hate that.

praying for you.

Chrissa Heydel Gatton- Interior Atelier said...

So glad to have your blog address, Katie! I am thrilled for this new journey for you and am praying. I understand your concerns and know that God has called YOU b/c He believes you are the perfect person for this specific task at this specific time. I'll pray for your physical and emotional strength. Many, many blessings.

Chrissa Heydel

Courtney said...

Im praying for you! 1 John 4:18!

Jennifer said...

Hey Katie!

Just want you to know that mine and Dustin's prayers are with you throughout the trip! I know from experience how important it is to have prayer warriors back home, because you'll notice in your day to day activities over there that all of a sudden you'll be saying things and doing things that you never thought you had in you, and it's all because of God's guiding hand in those situations. I know exactly how you are feeling right now, the day before you leave for one of the most life changing trips of your life! Feelings of sheer excitment to feelings of the greatest fear of the unknown... I struggled greatly with feelings of "inadequacy" before my first trip out as well, but once you go through it once you'll be a champ for the rest of your trips. However, take in all the feelings, emotional, spiritual, and physical that you are having now and enjoy them because you won't experience them again, and I realized that when I was struggling with those "inadequacies" is when I was the closest to our Father. You are his child sitting in the palm of His hand and he's smiling down on you knowing that what he has in store for you and for the natives in Honduras is big! Know that he equips us beyond our comprehension before we even go and uses those abilities you dont think you have from Day 1... it's really amazing! He placed this desire in you and you are being obedient and following, only good can come of it. It's hard to begin to describe the emotions you will have the first week, so try to journal (if not on your blog) in a personal journal, because honestly it's great to go back and read what the Lord taught you the first week from the last week of each trip! I love you Katie and I have no doubt you are embarking on the most amazing trip you'll ever experience! You will be blessed beyond measure but remember all they need is a hug and a smile and you have blessed them for a lifetime. Okay, I'll stop now, I'm so proud of you and let us know if we can do anything from the States! Keep us updated!

Love you,
Jennifer and Dustin

Cierra said...

I love you Milwee and I am so proud of you for yielding to the Lord's plan for your life! I'm excited it involves the Orphanage for you!

I am praying for you and can't wait to read your updates!!

Jane said...

As your mom, not only I am I so proud of you and your spirit for following the Lord's call in your life, but also for making it all come together as you did. I appreciate everyone's prayer for your safety as well. What a relief getting your call that you landed safely with all your belongings in TEGUCIGALPA (even with one slightly overweight bag that was NOT caught since the scales were broken at the Delta counter this morning:):). I can't wait to hear about your first day, miss you already!
Much love,
Mom

Carrie said...

Katie,
So I tried posting something, but it didn't let me. C'est la vie!

Dan and I are praying for you while you are on this exciting journey. Our Father has already provided you with strength to accomplish any task. We can't wait to hear about the blessings you give and the blessings you receive. Please know we are here if you ever need anything (including sick council : )

We love you

Dan and Carrie

The Hunsberger Family said...

Can't wait to hear how God is going to use you and the specific gifts He has given you to influence the lives of the precious children you will serve. Thanks for providing a way for those of us here to keep up with your journey. Love you and will be praying for you.

Glo

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love Katie soooooo much. She has been such a roll mottle 4 me I want to say I love you good lock see ya soon.

Gods speed Camille

A.Camille said...

write more!!!!! can't wait to hear how you are doing! we are home now.

we love ya!

A.Camille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reba said...

We are so proud of you for following such a tremendous calling. Our prayers are certinly with you. We will be anxiously awaiting your next post.

Love you Katie,
Reba and Jon

Unknown said...

MILWEE!! I'm so glad you have made it ok! I can't wait to see how the Lord uses you there. Just wanted to tell you that I Rebecca Garcia was on American Idol tonight. Please, please, please tell me she was joking. It was hilarious none the less.

Erin Molitoris said...

Katie, that was a great first blog! I can't wait to hear how you are doing and what it was like when you first got to Emmanuel. I can see you in one of the yards with kids just clinging to you! I have passed out a bunch of magnets at school, so know that you are covered in prayer!

Ali Tanner said...

loved this. love you. continue to update when you can. the magnet has gone a long way in reminding me of my sweet intentional friend.

Jane said...

For those waiting on an update from Katie (hope she can update the blog soon herself-her computer's internet isn't working) I spoke to her Thursday and she is doing great! She said the kids were so loving and beautiful but her heartstrings are so pulled by the poverty. With about 400 children, the orphanage is incredibly much better than the environment of those street children in the local town (as she said-what a culture shock!). The nutrition is also a concern with very little protein, fruit or vegetables available for them. My prayers are continually with you Katie, and that help for these children as well as all those suffering throughout the world will be lessoned with God's hand, your love and our support.
Love you much!
Mom

Alicia Lewis said...

Sweet Katie,
I'm so glad you're not enough! What an amazing opportunity for Him to be made perfect in your weakness. Ha ha ha... He has you just where He wants you! :-) The great thing is that He absolutely LOVES to show up and show off for us when we are willing to become less to make much of Him. You can count on it! I love you and am filled with prayers and hope for you as you walk your path there. He has begun such a good work in you and I know, from experience, He will be faithful to complete and keep on completing it! LOVE YOU!

meredith said...

Hey Katie,
so glad you are loving your life in a faraway land. the kids and i think of you often. these orphans are so lucky to have you in their lives! We miss you....take care, Meredith